Sometimes, nothing will do except a plate full of pasta. Pasta is so versatile and easy to make at home. And when I make homemade pasta dishes, I don’t feel gross and overly full like I do when I eat them at restaurants, which makes pasta a great, light, summertime dinner. Unless of course, you’re like me and you eat the whole pot of it. That may or may not have happened today…just sayin. Well, what else was I supposed to do with all the time I saved? Did I mention that this quick meal only requires 6 ingredients?
This recipe is bursting with flavor because I used a can of sun dried tomatoes that have been packed in olive oil and herbs. The olive oil is nicely infused with all the herbs and the flavor of the tomato, so you don’t need much more to make this taste delicious, but I went ahead and topped it off with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Flavor party in my mouth!
And, you need to do something with all that beautiful basil growing in your garden, right? I used a whole bunch in this recipe. The aroma of the basil leaves is so amazing on a hot summer day.
Mmmm so fresh!
So this is how it all went down:
Gone! Seconds, please.
What a perfect, lazy summer evening. I made myself one of these, stepped out onto the balcony with my plate, kicked my feet up, and did what anyone would want to do on a night like this.
- 1.5 cups penne pasta
- 1 (8.5 oz) jar sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for topping (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil for the pasta. – 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the sundried tomatoes with oil, garlic, basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to a food processor and blend on medium for about 3 minutes or until there are no large pieces of tomato or basil left. – 3 minutes.
- Add pasta to the water, and cook until al dente. - About 8 minutes.
- Drain pasta. In the pot you cooked the pasta in, add the pesto mixture and stir to fully coat all of the pasta (remove from heat for this part). – 3 minutes.
- Plate the pasta and top it with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Eat immediately. – 1 minute.