I love this meal because it’s an all-in-one package deal. No, it’s not a microwave dinner! It’s veggies and protein all bundled up together. Plus is has garlic + parmesan: the best combination since peanut butter and chocolate? I would say so.
You can modify this stuffed chicken recipe in so many ways. I’m already thinking about how I’m going to make it next. This version is moist, delicious, and healthy but if I feel like adding a few extra calories next time, I might coat the stuffed breasts in a combination of seasoned breadcrumbs and parmesan to get a crispy, buttery crust. Why not? More parmesan is always a good idea.
Did you know that breadcrumbs are one of the worst pre packaged food you can buy at the grocery store? Ya, one of my friends told me that, and when I read the ingredients in a mainstream brand, sure enough there were a million different chemicals! I don’t mean to lecture you, because I’ve definitely used pre packaged bread crumbs manyyy times. But, ew. What’s more is that breadcrumbs are incredibly easy to make with a loaf of bread. Some cheap, national brand loaves of bread have less ingredients/chemicals than breadcrumbs and less = more when it comes to ingredients/chemicals in pre packaged food. So if you have a little extra time, buy the best loaf of bread you can find and simply dry it out. Then throw the pieces in a gallon sized ziploc bag and take out your weekly frustrations on that bag with a rolling pin. If you have a food processor, it’s even easier but you’ll have to find another way to take your frustrations out. And there you have it: everything you need to know about breadcrumbs and the world’s longest tangent.
This adorable, bundled meal was so easy to make so it’s perfect for an easy weekday dinner. I know, I’m calling food adorable which means it’s time to stop writing and get to the recipe!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup fresh parmesan, shredded
- 1 ½ cups chopped spinach
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste x 2
- 6 toothpicks
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat and saute spinach, red pepper, garlic powder, garlic clove, salt, and pepper until fragrant. Set aside to cool all the way to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, butterfly the chicken and be sure not to cut all the way through.
- Season the part of the chicken that will be on the outside with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Combine parmesan cheese to the spinach mixture.
- Stuff each breast with half of the mixture.
- Fold over breasts and secure with 3 toothpicks in each.
- Place chicken in a casserole dish and cook covered with aluminum foil for about 45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Set aside for 10 minutes before cutting in.
- I used frozen, chopped spinach for this recipe. If using frozen spinach, thaw it in some cold water before using. You can also zap it in the microwave for a minute!